Friday 27 May 2011

'Could you open your eyes wider, Suraj?'


Dilshan: Okay, let's start with the openers. Any ideas?
Sangakkara: Well, we could get Murali on early and… oh.
Dilshan: "Oh" indeed. We've no Murali. We need some different plans.
Jayawardene: I don't like it. I'm not happy.
Sangakkara: England have got two left-handers opening the batting. I think we could ask the quicks to go round the wicket to them. That might work.
Dilshan: Why? Do you think they'll struggle with the change of angle?
Sangakkara: Not so much that. It's just that going round the wicket will create more rough for later in the game.
Dilshan: For what?
Sangakkara: Well, for… oh.
Dilshan: We haven't got Murali. I can't emphasise this enough. We have to come up with plans that don't revolve around him.
Jayawardene: I really don't like it. I'm really not happy about this at all.
Dilshan: But the round-the-wicket idea isn't necessarily a bad one. We can try that. And we have still got an offspinner.
Sangakkara: We have?
Dilshan: Yes, we have - Randiv.
Sangakkara: Randiv?
Dilshan: Yes, Randiv. Suraj Randiv.
Sangakkara: It's not ringing a bell.
Dilshan: He's played for Sri Lanka about 30 times. Suraj Randiv.
Sangakkara: No. Nothing. I'm drawing a complete blank.
Dilshan: Tell you what, I'll get him in here. See if it jogs your memory.
Jayawardene: This isn't good. I'm not happy. Not happy at all.
Dilshan: Suraj. Suraj, get in here. We want a quick word.
Jayawardene: Not happy. Not happy. Not one bit.
Dilshan: Suraj, Kumar was just, er, wondering if you had any ideas about bowling to the England batsmen.
Randiv: Just keep it tight, you know. Good lines. Wait for mistakes.
Dilshan: Mahela, stop doing that. Stop looking at him like that. Stop staring. It's intimidating. Give the poor lad a chance.
Jayawardene: Who does he think he is?
Sangakkara: Hmm. I dunno. I'm just not sure whether this is really going to work. I mean he's not Murali, is he?
Randiv: No, I'm not Murali. If I can do half the things he did, I'll be proud of myself. I'm sure I can do a good job for Sri Lanka, though.
Sangakkara: Could you, er… Could you maybe open your eyes a bit wider, Suraj?
Randiv: Sorry?
Sangakkara: Just, you know, open your eyes as wide as they'll go. Good and wide.
Randiv: What, like this…?
Sangakkara: Yeah, that's kind of it. That's kind of a start.
Dilshan: See? It's not so bad. We can cope without Murali.
Jayawardene: Don't say that. Take that back right now.
Dilshan: No, it's fine. It's not ideal, but we've got Suraj. This can work.
Sangakkara: I'm still not really feeling it.
Dilshan: No?
Sangakkara: No.
Dilshan: How about if he bent his wrists a bit further? Would that help?
Sangakkara: Maybe.
Dilshan: Suraj, could you sort of flap your wrists back as if you've got extra joints?
Randiv: Well, no…
Dilshan: Oh… This is a problem.
Sangakkara: This is a problem.
Jayawardene: Get out… Just get out of my sight… Get out of my sight right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment